Deaf Texting Service
The Deaf Texting Service initiative enhances and enables access to the out of hours GP service for the Deaf or hard of hearing patients without the involvement of a hearing person. The objective is to provide a safe, cost effective texting service which is patient friendly, efficient, confidential and enables access to the G.P. out of hours service for registered deaf patients.
How to Register
- Pre-registration form completed by the Patient and posted to Nurse Manager, Caredoc, St.Dympna’s Hospital, Athy Road Carlow, R93 DE62.
- The patient is registered on the service database with all relevant demographic and medical information
- A text message is sent to the patient to confirm registration is completed and they are sent the designated Caredoc texting number
Using the Deaf Texting Service
- When a registered deaf/hard of hearing patient needs to contact Caredoc, send a brief text containing your name, present location, the illness that concerns you and if you can attend a treatment centre to the designated Caredoc texting number.
- The nurse replies to your text with the appropriate level of care and you are offered a treatment centre appointment, home visit or direct referral to hospital. The nurse will inform the staff at the designated treatment centre of your expected arrival.